Digital Businesses in Suffolk Worth £200m To Local EconomyFebruary 11, 2016
Digital businesses in and around Ipswich are worth £200m to the local economy – sustaining almost 10,000 jobs. These are two key findings from the Tech Nation Report 2016, a comprehensive analysis of the UK’s leading tech clusters published today, which includes Ipswich for the first time.
Innovation Martlesham companies Silicon Safe and Zog Energy are listed in the report and many other IM companies helped to ensure that Ipswich achieved a listing in Tech Nation, by responding in large numbers to the Tech Nation survey at the end of 2015.
Ian Buxton, Chair of Innovation Martlesham said: “Companies choosing to base their business at Innovation Martlesham have increased by 10% in the last 12 months alone. This percentage growth has contributed to Ipswich being listed as one of the leading digital tech clusters in the UK – as part of Tech Nation 2016.”
Key findings for Ipswich cluster:
- Digital employment: 9,981
- Average salary in Digital Tech Industries: £42,096
- Digital GVA: £190 million
- Digital density (digital businesses as % of total businesses): 16%
- Employment growth: 3%
- Turnover growth: 24%
- GVA growth: 16%
- Key sectors (compared to UK): E-commerce & Marketplace, Digital Media & Entertainment, Digital Advertising & Marketing, Apps & Software Development
- Key cluster benefits: Access to local networks (58%), Access to commercial property (57%), Access to graduate level talent (53%)
To read the story in the East Anglian Daily Times, click here.